Get a Free Culinary Kick Start from Palmetto Goodwill and CHG
March 2, 2018 § Leave a comment
Are you looking for an opportunity to get your foot in the door of the booming Charleston restaurant scene? Maybe you’re looking to switch fields all together and begin a new culinary career path? If so, our Culinary Kick-Start program is for you!
Apply now for a free 8-day culinary training designed to get you prepared to begin a career with top employers.
- Hands-On Training. You will begin the program with four full days of prep-cook training at Lowcountry Food Bank , learning food safety and sanitation, kitchen equipment and knife basics. You will then have the opportunity to work in real working kitchens such as Cove Oyster Bar and Grille. In this portion of the course, you will focus on developing your palettes while furthering your education in kitchen saftey, mise en place, equipment and more.
- Job Readiness Course. Succeeding in the workplace requires more than experience and training. Employers are looking for team members who have the “soft skills” that lead to long-term success. Goodwill will provide you with the tools you need to get, keep and excel in your new job including creating a stand-out resume, acing the interview and applying conlict resolution techniques.
- Job Placements. Following the program, Goodwill will work with you one-on-one to identify and prepare you for appropriate job opportunities including resume writing and interview skills. The program will commence with an opportunity to interview with Charleston Hospitality Group for available positions at Tabbuli, Eli’s Table, Toast!, Cove Oyster Bar & Grille, and Honky Tonk Saloon . Available full-time positions start at $12 per hour.
- Graduation. Following completion of the program students will be able to invite two guests to join them as they graduate the Culinary Kick-Start Program.
- February 19 – March 11: Application Period
- March 19: Employment Skills Bootcamp with Palmetto Goodwill (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- March 20 – 23: Training at Lowcountry Food Bank (8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
- March 26 – 27: Chef apprenticeships with Charleston Hospitality Group (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
- March 28: Graduation
- March 29: Job Interviews
“Cooking has always been my passion. The best part of the program was the people. The hands-on training is important. I start my new job Monday because of this program.”
– Zena Schultes
“I loved being able to train at different companies at a fast pace. It was a diverse group and I enjoyed that. The program is great for job placement. I already started my job through Good Food Catering.”
– Victoria Robinson